When shopping for new replacement windows, one of the first decisions you need to make is determining the type of window that best suits your needs. Vinyl for its terrific value and lower maintenance, or wood for its natural qualities?
To make this important initial decision easier for you, HOME BUILD has created the following four-factor comparison. Please review the advantages of both. For additional information or questions not covered below, contact HOME BUILD at (847) 687-1445.
4 Tips for Selecting Replacement Windows:
1) Decide which energy saving materials you want to use.
Vinyl is a proven insulator, making it a great choice for windows and patio doors. Dual weatherstripping maintains the efficiency of the window by creating a tight seal that eliminates drafts and makes your home more comfortable. Vinyl dual-pane replacement windows also offer sun protection that helps prevent your drapes, carpets and upholstery from fading or discoloring.
Wood is a natural insulator, and wood frame windows do an excellent job of preventing the outside cold or heat from getting into your home. Many wood windows today are available with complete weather stripping that serves as an excellent seal against condensation. They also reduce noise. However, if you neglect standard maintenance, wood windows can lose their ability to withstand weathering, leaving them (and your home) open to the elements.
2) Weigh the importance of low maintenance.
Vinyl windows require minimal maintenance. Vinyl is the most popular replacement window largely because they don’t require painting, scraping or staining. They are generally unaffected by moisture and, if they have an insulated core, offer good thermal and sound resistance. Plus, a vinyl window only needs an occasional cleaning.
Wood windows require ongoing maintenance. The longevity of wood is less than vinyl – if left exposed to the elements, it can rot, crack or fade. But the plus side is that they can be painted or stained to match other parts of your house. If you are the owner of a high-end home or are restoring an older home, you are likely drawn to the architectural appeal of wood windows. If you are prepared and willing to put the time into upkeep, wood replacement windows are beautiful when well maintained.
3) Determine your budget.
Vinyl windows are generally less expensive than wood and provide years of great payback. According to Remodeling magazine’s “Cost vs. Value Report,” high-quality, energy-efficient replacement windows are an excellent investment. Vinyl doesn’t shrink or swell with changes in humidity, so callback problems are minimized. Add to that a short turnaround time, strong manufacturer warranties, and product consistency, vinyl windows are an attractive option.
Wood replacement windows are more expensive than vinyl. Because wood windows utilize a natural resource, the laws of supply and demand apply. The price of unique, natural beauty is higher not only at the time of installation, but throughout the window’s lifetime, due to the need for continual upkeep. If you are torn between the final look you want to achieve and your limited budget, consider the fact that wood windows may become less important to your vision once you take a look at the beautiful window treatments that are available.
4) Find a solution without compromise – Form & Function combined.
Vinyl windows are the standard you find in most houses today. Your purchase of top-quality vinyl replacement windows and patio doors ensures you receive a product of functional beauty made with the latest in state-of-the-art technology. Vinyl windows not only reduce noise and energy use, they also increase your property value and enhance your home’s curb appeal.
Wood windows provide a wonderful upgrade for many homeowners. Wood windows enhance your home’s value with classic, timeless style. Thanks to a wide variety of product innovations, well-built and well-maintained wood windows are a wonder to behold.
Vinyl windows and wood windows both have their own distinctive qualities when it comes to durability and design. Vinyl windows are generally less expensive and lower maintenance; wood windows are pricier for their uniquely individual appeal. Now that you’ve reviewed the top 4 requirements to consider when evaluating vinyl vs wood windows, take a look at wood clad windows, as another option to keep in mind. It all comes down to what factors are most important to you.
For more on the replacement window options available at HOME BUILD WINDOWS, please review the information under each of the three major brands we offer. Or contact us today at (847) 687-1445 for a free consultation and estimate. Our experts will help you discover how replacement windows and installation from HOME BUILD can beautify your home and reduce your energy bills.
An authorized Pella dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement window possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!
Why choose Pella® replacement wood windows? Pella offers a wide variety of shapes, styles and sizes to fit most any opening in your home. Gorgeous wood interiors not only can be finished to match your woodwork; they stay looking great with little care. And the exteriors of our wood windows are protected by our durable, low-maintenance EnduraClad® exterior that doesn’t need painting. Want the best of all worlds? You can have it with Pella.
Since 1912, Marvin Windows has been committed to window innovation featuring the highest quality construction and energy-efficient technology. Offering an extensive selection of shapes, styles, sizes and options, Marvin Windows offer unparalleled value and best-in class solutions for residential and commercial replacement windows.
An authorized Marvin dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement window possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!
Invite the outdoors in. A Bay window can create a window seat or a small retreat.
- Traditionally, Bays are made from three windows: a large picture window flanked by smaller windows on the sides that are set at 30º, 45º, 60º or 90º degree angles.
- Bay windows can be constructed from either Ultimate Double Hung or Casemaster windows.
The graceful curve of a Bow window is a lovely way to open any room and capture a view.
- Any number of Ultimate Double Hung or Casemaster windows can be used to create a gentle curve. Individual windows are mulled together at the factory for a harmonious appearance.
A Casemaster opens and closes from the side, like a book, when the crank handle is turned.
- The Casemaster meets WDMA DP50, one of the Window and Door Manufacturers Association’s best ratings for air and water infiltration and structural integrity.
- Smooth, clean millwork defines the interior surfaces.
The French Casemaster has a delicate, elegant air about it, but under the surface has the strength and stamina Casemasters are known for.
- A French Casemaster has two operating windows that open outward using a crank handle.
- A center post is not present, creating an unobstructed view when open.
The Awning is designed to accompany Casemasters, picture windows and other Awnings, adding height, light and ventilation wherever you need it.
- Awnings are designed to circulate air without exposing your room to light rain.
- Awning Windows are hinged at the top and open out at the bottom using a crank handle.
Marvin’s Ultimate Double Hung combines state-of-the-art window design with the style and beauty of an earlier era.
- Traditional lines, profiles and proportions make the interior an Ultimate Double Hung exceptionally beautiful.
- Both sash tilt in or can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Choose from Double Hung Windows with rectangular sash or Ultimate Double Hung Round Top variations.
The Ultimate Insert Double Hung is a beautiful alternative to vinyl replacement windows. Choose from Marvin’s full range of wood species, clad colors and hardware finish options.
- If your current window frame is in good condition, there’s no need to remove it. Exterior casing and interior trim remain undisturbed by the replacement process.
- Both sash effortlessly tilt in or can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Many divided-lite options are available.
A sash replacement option is perfect for when the frame of a double hung window is in good condition, but the sash or hardware need replacement.
- The Tilt Pac includes two wood or clad-wood sash and the hardware necessary for installation.
- Both sash operate, and tilt in or can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Choose from a full range of options: energy-efficient glass, grilles and divided lites and several screen choices.
- Magnum Tilt-Pacs are available to fit over-sized window openings.
This double hung window is designed for oversized openings-it goes as large as 5′ x 10′!
- Great for residential, commercial construction or historic renovation projects featuring large window openings.
- Smooth and easy to operate.
- Choose from rectangular sash or round top variations.
The Glider is a reliable choice for simple operation and energy efficiency.
- A Glider’s sash slides horizontally on the window sill.
- It’s a perfect window for areas where a swinging sash would be in the way, for example, overlooking a deck or porch.
Add dimension and drama to a window design by incorporating a polygon or special shape window.
- Choose from octagons, hexagons, trapezoids, pentoids, triangles-virtually any geometric shape.
- Polygons and special shape windows are available as either direct glaze or in-sash units to match daylight openings in other window and door styles.
Marvin has the products, sizes and custom solutions needed to turn your remodeling and window replacement dreams into reality. Browse our replacement solutions…
Marvin Round Top Windows add elegance and individuality to a home.
- Choose from full, half and quarter rounds, ellipticals, inverted corners, ovals, gothic shapes, eyebrows…the list goes on.
- Marvin offers over 1000 standard round top sizes, plus unlimited custom designs-all perfectly matched to Marvin’s full line of windows and doors.
The Tilt Turn and the Hopper offer many design possibilities.
- The Tilt Turn is a dual-functioning window: swing it in like a door or tilt the top of the sash into your room for ventilation.
- The tilt-in Hopper is the perfect companion to the Tilt-Turn, offering additional air and light.
Which type of entry door is best for me?
When it comes to front doors, there are basically three main types to consider – wood, steel and fiberglass composites. You will find homeowners who are very satisfied by each type of entry door available for a number of reasons. That’s because, overall, each of them actually perform quite well. But each does haves differences in materials, styles and price points. So to find the one that best suits your needs, HOME BUILD has compiled the informative descriptions below. In each, you’ll find the advantages and disadvantages of each. For additional information about doors, or for a free consultation and estimate, contact HOME BUILD at (847) 687-1445.
Buying An Entry Door
If you are looking for a new exterior door, there are a number of options in terms of materials, styles and price points. Exterior doors are made from wood, steel and fiberglass/composites.
Wood doors have always been the bellweather of natural beauty and performance. The drawback to wood is they are not necessarily as energy efficient as insulated steel or fiberglass products. Wood is also prone to movement, which can cause swelling in humid weather and a loose fit in the dryer heating season. In recent years, however, wood door manufacturers have taken steps to improve the stability and performance of their doors. Now many wood doors offer both the detailing and design of traditional wood doors and the engineering of the man-made, more densely insulated products. Pricing for wood doors depends largely on the wood species and detailing.
Steel doors have been manufactured for years and perform well as utility doors such as back doors or basement doors. They have a stamped panel layout, which tends to not have the crisp edges and traditional design of wood. Steel doors are generally well-insulated and economical, however, lack some of the detailing available in wood and composite products.
Fiberglass doors are the relative newcomer to the door product market and they offer a lot of pleasing benefits which bridge the gap between wood and steel. Fiberglass doors are manufactured with an insulated core so they are very energy efficient.
Unlike wood doors, which are assembled with stile and rail components, fiberglass doors are made from one exterior and one interior “skin” which is bonded to a perimeter rail. This results in a uniform, stable door panel, which resists twisting, warping, cracking and checking. The fiberglass skin comes either with a woodgrain texture which will accept a stain or a smooth surface for a paint finish. Add a myriad of insulated decorative glass options and you have a door for every style! Fiberglass doors offer a wide array or pricing options, largely driven by detailing and glass options.
The two prominent door manufacturer’s in the United States are Simpson for wood doors and Thermatru for composites. Take a look at their links below to explore more options.
For more on the replacement doors available at HOME BUILD -WINDOWS ∙ SIDING ∙ DOORS, please review the information under each of the four major brands we offer, including the nation’s leading wood door manufacturer, Simpson, and the leading composite manufacturer, Therma-Tru. Or contact us today at (847) 687-1445 for a free consultation and estimate. Our experts will help you discover how replacement doors and installation from HOME BUILD can beautify your home and reduce your energy bills.
No matter what your budget is, Pella has a replacement door that will exceed your expectations – in a variety of pleasing styles. Pella offers three distinctive lines of exceptional entry doors, plus full lines of patio doors and storm doors. All designed with beauty, performance and value in mind, and their expert craftsmanship means exceptional durability with less maintenance – year after year.
An authorized Pella dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement door possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!
When it comes to selecting the right entry or patio doors, the criteria you should consider include the door’s beauty from inside and out, as well as its performance and energy efficiency. Marvin Doors are “Built around you” to excel in each of those areas. With unlimited options and designs, Marvin Doors are built with unparalleled attention to detail, then thoroughly tested under the most rigorous conditions to make sure they meet some of the industry’s toughest requirements for finish, fit and performance.
An authorized Marvin dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement door possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!
A Sliding Patio door is an ideal solution for adding light to a room while making the most of a limited space.
- The door features 3″ stiles and rails and elegant harp-shaped handle
- The large glass surface maximizes the view
- The two-point locking system offers more security than locks from other door manufacturers.
Choose an Inswing or Outswing French Door with standard interior glazing, unmatched fit and finish and remarkable design flexibility.
- The Ultimate Inswing French Door accentuates interiors with generous amounts of space.
- The Ultimate Outswing French Door is ideal for areas with high traffic or limited interior space.
- Most Ultimate French Doors carry a DP40 rating for commercial-grade performance with a traditional flair.
A Casemaster opens and closes from the side, like a book, when the crank handle is turned.
- The Arch Top French door is available as either an inswing or outswing door.
- Rails, stiles and the lite pattern of your door can be designed to align with accompanying side lites or Round Top windows.
The Ultimate Sliding French Door delivers the elegance of a French door in a space-saving sliding version.
- It features extra-wide stiles and tall bottom rails for a traditional look.
- Options include a multi-point or three-point locking system and two screen door choices.
Every Entry Door system is hand crafted one-by-one using only the best solid hardwood material, and offer a vintage, custom door that is truly exotic, beautiful, and elegant.
- The Marvin Entry Door is available in seven vintage architectural design collections.
- Honduran Mahogany, Honduran Cedar, Oak, Cherry, and Walnut are available in a furniture grade finish.
- Custom hand carving, metal accents, decorative glass options, and custom door designs are all available Made for you®.
For over a century, Simpson has been a distinguished manufacturer of the finest wood doors —establishing industry standards for beauty and craftsmanship. Each Simpson door is made to order, to exactly match dimensions and specifications. This state-of-the-art precision, along with a dedication to old world craftsmanship, have established Simpson as the premier wood door expert.
As an authorized Simpson, dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement door possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!
One of the pioneers of fiberglass door technology, today THERMA-TRU is the undisputed leader in the manufacture of composite doors. If you’re looking for the beauty of wood and the durability of steel, a fiberglass door by Therma-Tru may be what you’re looking for. With options and models to fit every need, Therma-Tru offers the ultimate combination of security, energy efficiency, performance and beauty.
As an authorized Therma-Tru, dealer, HOME BUILD can recommend a variety of beautiful replacement door possibilities for your home. To discover the options that would best suit your needs, call HOME BUILD at 630-497-0409 for a free consultation and estimate today!